December 2009 vacation

December 2009 vacation

About Me

I'm a widow and my prayer is to be able raise my 10 yr old daughter as God-fearing and with great love for herself and others. My goal is to help her discover her talents and guide her to gain her fullest potential. Currently, I'm the parent coordinator for San Francisco Christian School. I also teach Sunday School and feels blessed to be a part of our Worship Team. God has sustained me through all my struggles in life.

Early Feminist Movement

Early Feminist Movement
www.media.photobucket.com

Nelson Mandela

Nelson Mandela
inewscatcher.com

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Unfairness in Islam even in the Punishment of Death?

In connection to my recent post about men and women in Islam, I just wanted to share a few things about the many things that I discovered regarding the punishment of death (specifically in Iran). According to this article, with regards to the penalty for adultery, "Married offenders may be punished by stoning regardless of their gender, but the method laid down for a man involves his burial up to his waist, and for a woman up to her neck (article 102)." It continued to say that, "The law provides that if a person who is to be stoned manages to escape, he or she will be allowed to go free." Hey, wait a minute!!! Who has a better chance of escaping---a man buried up to his waist or a woman buried up to her neck? Tsk, tsk...I guess, it does not really matter. Why? The article mentioned that, " in some instances, when the woman miraculously managed to escape, contrary to the regime's own law, she was recaptured and either stoned again or killed on the spot." One woman was recaptured and shot to death, and one woman charged with adultery was thrown off a 10-story building. This is beyond cruelty!!! Okay, please do not get me wrong. I am not hoping for a less escape for men as I do not want both genders to suffer that way, but I would think that there would be no case of adultery charges for males since they are legally allowed to have up to 4 wives anyway (provided he can equally sustain all 4).
Again, I do not condone adultery, but these are horrific examples of punishment by death. We have to consider also the possibility that charges of adultery could be just false accusations to reign terror or maybe admission is under duress. Anyway, I am very grateful for the freedom that we have here in the U.S. and makes me hope that everyone can enjoy it the same way. In other countries, both men and women are under the same terror and tragic situation, and yet, women and children still suffers most.

If interested, here is the link to the article where I got those info:
www.iran-e-azad.org/stoning/women.html

2 comments:

  1. I remember a few years ago the news media showed some footage of a woman being stoned to death. I can't remember what Middle Eastern country it was but it was horrific. I think that opened the eyes of many Westerners.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that must be heart breaking! I refuse to even imagine what it's like to be continuously stoned for an hour or so. The physical and emotional pain must be tormenting. It's inhumane!!! I personally believe that even the so-called adulterers can change. Nobody has to be humiliated and punished to death this way. Some people are just so quick to judge. Thanks again, Mary for adding your thoughts to this issue.

    ReplyDelete