December 2009 vacation

December 2009 vacation

About Me

I'm a widow and my prayer is to be able raise my 10 yr old daughter as God-fearing and with great love for herself and others. My goal is to help her discover her talents and guide her to gain her fullest potential. Currently, I'm the parent coordinator for San Francisco Christian School. I also teach Sunday School and feels blessed to be a part of our Worship Team. God has sustained me through all my struggles in life.

Early Feminist Movement

Early Feminist Movement
www.media.photobucket.com

Nelson Mandela

Nelson Mandela
inewscatcher.com

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Genghis Khan Exhibit at the Tech Museum

I was so afraid to drive to the unfamiliar roads of downtown San Jose, but my daughter and I safely made it to the Tech Museum last week. I originally searched for a hotel for an overnight stay because I was ridiculously fearful of ending up in one way streets. Then, I had to abandon the plan when it dawned to me that the museum has extended hours, until 8 PM, on a holiday. Holiday means no cars and less people in a business area, right? Just to make sure, we went in the mid-afternoon. It was such a relief to find out that my intuition was correct. However, after a couple of driving mistakes, I added a total of 4 more blocks to our already long walk because we went in the opposite direction (Yikes! I do not have a sense of direction not only in driving, but also in walking? That is terrible!!!). I believe we walked a minimum of 8 blocks before we made it to the exhibit.
The $37 tickets for both of us included a full access to the other Tech galleries (except the Imax Theatre) so it was viable. We really took our time. There was a big statue of Genghis Khan and life-size statues of warriors, plenty of artifacts, preserved human remain, short clips to watch, wall murals to look at, etc. I noticed that the artifacts were borrowed from The National Museum of Mongolia, Military Museum of Mongolia, and The Institute of Archaeology of the Mongolian Academy of Sciences. Much effort and diplomacy must have been exerted to put this exhibit together. Everything was just indescribably valuable.
Before going there, I read an advertisement that said, "Participate in several engaging, family-friendly activities. Watch live cultural performances by traditional Mongolian singers and musicians." Those were either missing or partly missing. There was not a single live performance when we were there. The fact that it was a holiday must have changed things. There was a small Ger set up with a few costumes that people were allowed to try on. The person manning the area was willing to answer questions. I guess, that can be considered the, "engaging, family-friendly activity" that they were talking about plus the small digging site that children can go in at the end of the exhibit.
Anyway, we read everything in the exhibit, took notes, and watched all the video clips. My daughter said she really liked it although she never knew who Genghis Khan was before that experience. To sum it up, we both came out satisfied with what we have accomplished and learned. I promised to bring her again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment